Last Updated: March 1, 2017
How do we collect and use information?
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Services, to administer your use of the Services (including your account, if you are an account holder) and to enable you to enjoy and easily navigate our Services.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- information (such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number and photograph) that you provide by completing forms related to the Services, including if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to any service, upload or submit any material via the Services, request any information, or enter into any competition or promotion we may sponsor;
- in connection with an account sign-in facility, your log-in and password details;
- details of any transactions made by you through the Services;
- communications you send to us, for example to report a problem or to submit queries, concerns or comments regarding the Services or its content;
- information from surveys that we may, from time to time, run for research purposes, if you choose to respond to, or participate in, them;
- your individual preferences; and/or
- certain information that your mobile device sends when you use our Services, like a device identifier, user settings and the operating system of your device.
If you choose to create or sign-in to an account through one of your social networking service accounts (“SNS Accounts”), you may have to provide us with your username (or user ID) so that your identity can be authenticated by the SNS Account. When the authentication is complete, we’ll be able to link your account with the SNS Account and access certain information, such as your name, email address, photo and other personal information that your privacy settings on the SNS Account permit us to access.
We don’t receive or store passwords for any of your SNS Accounts.
You are under no obligation to provide any such information. However, if you should choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
Cookies and other technologies
Our servers automatically record certain information about how a person uses our Services (we call this information “Log Data”), including both account holders and non-account holders (either, a “User”). Log Data may include information such as a User’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, operating system, the web page that a User was visiting before accessing our Services, the pages or features of our Services to which a User browsed and the time spent on those pages or features, search terms, the links or buttons on our Services that a User clicked on (including advertisements clicked on) and other statistics.
When you use the Services, a web server sends a cookie or other similar technology to your computer or mobile device (as the case may be).Cookies are small pieces of information which are issued to your computer or mobile device (as the case may be) when you visit a website and which store and sometimes track information. A number of cookies we use last only for the duration of your web session and expire when you close your browser. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to use the Services and will last for longer.
The cookies and/or other similar technologies we use collect information, such as the type of internet browser or mobile device you use, any website from which you have come to use the Services, your IP address and/or the operating system of your computer or mobile device.
- identify that you’ve logged in to the Services and to tell us how and when you interact with our Services;
- remember that you have visited us before. This means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive. This allows us to make sure we have enough capacity for the number of users that we get;
- customise elements of the promotional layout and/or content of the pages of the Services and improve the Services;
- monitor aggregate usage and web traffic routing on our Services; and
- gather information about the pages related to the Services that you visit, and also other information about other websites that you visit, so as to place you in a “market segment”. This information is collected by reference to the IP address that you are using, and includes information about the county and city you are in, together with the name of your internet service provider. This information is then used to place interest-based advertisements related to the Services which it is believed will be relevant to your market segment.For more information about this type of interest based advertising, and about how to turn this feature off please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/.
Unlike persistent cookies, session cookies are deleted when you log off from the Services and close your browser. Although most browsers automatically accept cookies, you can change your browser options to stop automatically accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting cookies. You can also learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies using different types of browser or mobile device. Please note, however, that if you don’t accept cookies, you may not be able to access all portions or features of the Services.
We engage third-party services providers (including third-party advertisers) that may also place their own cookies on your browser.
Responding to Do Not Track Signals
Our Services do not have the capability to respond to “Do Not Track” signals received from various web browsers.Other parties may collect Personal Information about Users’ online activities over time and across different websites when Users use other operators’ websites or online services.
We collect information through the Services as to your geographical location to provide location services where requested or agreed to by you in order to deliver content, advertising or other services. This information may also be collected in combination with an identifier associated with your device to enable us to recognise your mobile browser or device when you return to use the Services.
You may opt out at any time from allowing further access by us to your location data by adjusting the privacy or location settings on your device.
Uses made of your information
We use your personal information which we collect to:
- enable us to process your orders and to provide you with the services and information offered through the Services and which you request;
- administer the Services and your account with us;
- verify and carry out financial transactions in relation to payments you make online;
- analyse (and engage third parties to analyse) information to improve and enhance the Services by expanding their features and functionality and tailoring them to our users’ needs and preferences;
- fight spam, malware and identity theft;
- improve the layout and/or content of the pages of the Services and customise them for users;
- identify visitors using the Services and carry out research on our users' demographics and tracking of sales data;
- generate aggregate, non-identifying information about how our Services are used;
- contact you with emails, newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you including information about our products and services or those of carefully selected third parties, provided you have indicated that you do not object to being contacted for these purposes; and
- allow, with your consent, carefully selected third parties to send you information directly which you may find useful regarding their products and services.
Tastemade will only process personal data in ways that are compatible with the purpose that Tastemade collected it for, or for purposes you later authorise. Before we use your personal data for a purpose that is materially different than the purpose we collected it for or that you later authorise, we will provide you with the opportunity to opt out. Tastemade maintains reasonable procedures to help ensure that personal data is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and current.
What information do we share with third parties?
We may disclose your personal information to any of our affiliates, or to our agents or contractors who assist us in providing the Services we offer: processing transactions, fulfilling requests for information, receiving and sending communications, updating marketing lists, analysing data, providing IT and other support services or in other tasks, from time to time. Our agents and contractors will only use your information to the extent necessary to perform their functions.
We may share aggregated information and non-identifying information with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling, measurement of advertising effectiveness and other similar purposes.
In the event that we undergo re-organisation or are sold to a third party, you agree that any personal information we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organised entity or third party.
It’s our policy to protect you from having your privacy violated through abuse of the legal systems, whether by individuals, entities or government, and to contest claims that we believe to be invalid under applicable law. However, it’s also our policy to cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties. Accordingly, we reserve the right to disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary: (i) to satisfy or comply with any applicable law, regulation or legal process or to respond to lawful requests; (ii) to protect our property, rights and safety and the rights, property and safety of third parties or the public in general; (iii) to prevent or stop activity we consider to be illegal, unethical or legally actionable; and (iv) to prevent fraud or cybercrime.
We share your personal information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites, if you have expressly requested that we do so.
Security of your information
We place great importance on the security of all personal information associated with our users. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control. For example, when you enter sensitive and/or personal information on our registration or order forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). However, no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure and any such submission is at your own risk.Whilst we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of information will never occur, we use all reasonable efforts to prevent it.
It is advisable to close your browser when you have finished your user session to help ensure others do not access your personal information if you use a shared computer or a computer in a public place.
Links to other sites
Emailing, messaging and sharing via a Tastemade Account
As part of some of our Services, account holders may be able to communicate with other account holders, through use of direct messaging and email functionality associated with their accounts. Your email address will not be visible to other account holders in such communications.However, you should exercise caution when using these facilities and never disclose your personal information.
If you do not wish to receive promotional emails, newsletter notifications or other communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications.
Please note that if you opt-out, we may still collect some data about your online activity for operational purposes, but it won’t be used by us for the purpose of targeting ads to you, and if you use multiple browsers or devices, you may need to perform this opt-out on each browser or device.
Further information on opting out
Some of the advertisers, advertising technology companies and service providers that perform advertising-related services for us and our business partners may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"), a cooperative of online marketing companies that offers a centralized tool for opting out of interest-based or online behavioural advertising delivered by each of its member companies. If you would like to obtain more information about the NAI and make choices about their members' use of information from or about you, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
Modifying Your Information or Deleting Information held by us
You can access and modify certain personal information associated with your account by editing the profile page in your account. If you want us to delete your personal information and your account, please contact us at email@example.com with your request. We’ll take steps to delete your information as soon as is practicable, but some information may remain in archived/backup copies for our records or as otherwise required by law.
You have a legal right under the Data Protection Act 1998 to a copy of all the personal information about you held by us. On request, we will provide you with a copy of this information subject to a fee not exceeding £10. You also have a right to correct any errors in that information. As mentioned above, you have a right to prevent the use of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
Your personal information which we collect is sent to and stored on secure servers located in the United States and Ireland. Such storage is necessary in order to process the information. Personal information submitted may be transferred by us to our other offices and/or to the third parties mentioned in the circumstances described above, which may be situated outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and may be processed by staff operating outside the EEA. The countries concerned may not have similar data protection laws to the EEA. Where we transfer your personal information we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected. By using the Services, you agree to this storing, processing and/or transfer.
Our policy towards Children
Protecting the safety of children when they use the Internet is important to us. The Services are intended for use only by persons who are at least 13 years of age. By using our Services, you confirm to us that you meet this requirement and that, if you are under the age of 18, you have received permission from your parent or guardian before using the Services or sending any personal information to us or anyone else online.
Questions or Complaints