Accidentally Vegan Brownies
Vegans just eat like lentils and stuff, right? WRONG! These brownies prove all doubters wrong.
- 4 level tablespoons of chia seeds (I prefer using whole)
- 12 tablespoons of water/plant milk of choice
- 3 heaped tablespoons of smooth almond/cashew/peanut butter
- 240 grams of coconut sugar/dark brown sugar
- 11 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 13 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 60 grams cocoa powder
- 60 grams plain flour or buckwheat if you're gluten free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 100 grams of dairy free milk/white chocolate buttons
- 10 oreos broken into bitesize pieces (potentially not vegan)
- 1. Preheat oven to to 180C and grease and line baking tray.
- 2. Combine your chia seeds with the water and set to one side.
- 3. Whisk the almond butter with the sugar, maple syrup and coconut oil until you have a caramel.
- 4. Sieve in your cocoa powder gradually and whisk until batter is shiny and silky.
- 5. Whisk in the chia eggs.
- 6. Fold in the flour until well incorporated.
- 7. Add in the vanilla essence, 3/4 of the salt, the baking powder and baking soda.
- 8. Gently fold Oreos and chocolate buttons into the batter. Then tip into baking tray.
- 9. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- 10. Allow to cool for a minimum of 1 hour, then slice into squares. Stick a knife in, you want it to come out just clean then you will know they're ready.