The Lone Ranger — Texas Chili and Candy Silver Bullets
This week's film is the Disney remake of The Lone Ranger. Join us as Jack and Laura wrangle dishes inspired by the film, including a Texas Chili Con Carne and Candy Silver Bullets.
- Beef stock (1L)
- 2 real dried chillies, sweet and smoky
- 1 pound well marbled braising steak
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- A handful of mature cheese, grated
- A handful of fresh coriander, leaves torn
- 2 avocados, flesh removed and sliced
- Bag of corn tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C)
- Heat 100 milliliters of the stock to a simmer and add the dried chillies for 5 minutes.
- Blitz the 100 milliliters of stock and chillies to a thin sauce.
- Cut the steak into big chunks.
- Dice the onion and finely chop the garlic.
- Heat a glug of oil in a ovenproof dish, then chuck in the steak and brown all over.
- Add the onion, garlic, paprika, cumin seeds and oregano to fry gently until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the tomato purée and coat the meat.
- Pour over the chilli beef stock and the remaining regular stock then add the cinnamon powder and stick.
- Cover the dish and cook in the oven for 3 hours.
- Remove the beef from the sauce and put the dish on the hob.
- Bubble the sauce over a high heat until it reduces and thickens.
- Return the beef to the dish and scatter over the coriander.
- Serve the chilli with the avocado, cheese and corn chips.