Healthy French Toast With Blueberry Maple Syrup
Enjoy french toast again with some easy, healthy substitutions!
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6-8 slices thick whole wheat bread coconut oil, for greasing pan
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon and whisk together.
- Heat a griddle or large fry pan over medium-high heat with approximately 1/2 teaspoon. coconut oil and allow to melt.
- One slice of bread at a time, dip the bread into the egg mixture and fully submerge, allowing the bread to soak up the egg mixture. Once fully coated, remove and allow excess to drip off (careful not to let the bread get too soggy).
- Transfer the bread to the hot griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping and cooking the other side for an another 2-3 minutes, or until both sides are golden-brown and all the egg is fully cooked. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- To make the maple syrup, combine the maple syrup, 1 1/2 cups of the fresh blueberries, and the lemon juice in a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and boil for ten minutes. Turn off the heat and add the remaining half of the blueberries to heat through.
- Drizzle blueberry maple syrup over the french toast.