Shepherd’s Pie With Cauliflower Mash
How to make Shepherd’s Pie With Cauliflower Mash.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside. In a large pot, steam the cauliflower florets until tender.
- Heat olive in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, 1/2 teaspoon. kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon. pepper to the pan and cook until browned. Remove and leave rendered fat.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots and cook until beginning to soften, around 5-8 minutes.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, parsley and beef broth. Return the cooked beef to the pan and heat through. Season to taste.
- To make the topping, drain the cooked cauliflower. Puree or mash using a blender, food processor, or potato masher (by hand) until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon. kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon. ground black pepper, and parmesan cheese.
- To assemble, spread the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish. Top with the cauliflower mixture and smooth with a spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is brown and bubbly.