Winnie The Pooh's Honey Bread & Honey Butter
Honey bread and honey butter. Have we said honey enough times?
- 1kg brown flower
- 700ml water
- 1⁄2 jar of honey
- 1 packet of dried yeast
- 200g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 75g honey
- For the bread:
- Mix up bread and leave overnight to prove.
- The next day, kneed and form into small loaves. Leave to prove for a further 2 hours.
- For the honeycomb:
- Grease a tin with the butter.
- Mix the caster sugar and syrup in a deep saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has melted. Try not to let the mixture bubble until the sugar grains have disappeared.
- Once completely melted, turn up the heat a little and simmer until you have an amber coloured caramel (this won’t take long), then as quickly as you can turn off the heat, tip in the bicarbonate and beat in with a wooden spoon until it has all disappeared and the mixture is foaming. Scrape into the tin immediately but be careful as the mixture will be very hot. Leave it until hard and ready to crumble or snap into chunks.
- Whip butter with honey.
- Serve bread and butter with honeycomb chunks.