Bahn Mi Puffy Tacos
Bánh mì puffy tacos. Taco 'bout a blast of flavor.
- For the pork: 1/2 pound boneless pork chop cut into 1/4 inch pieces, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons honey, 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon garlic finely minced and ground black pepper to taste
- For the pickled vegetables: 1 carrot peeled and shredded, 4-5 few radishes thinly sliced, 1/2 medium cucumber thinly sliced, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- Cilantro, to taste
- Spicy mayo (equal parts Sriracha and mayonnaise)
- Oil for frying
- Combine pork and marinade ingredients. Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Make the pickles: in a bowl or sealable container, mix vinegar, sugar, and salt. Then mix in the vegetables and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Drain off the pork marinade. Heat a little bit of oil in a pan, and cook the pork until caramelized. Should take about 5 minutes.
- In a shallow pot, heat oil to 375°F. Carefully lower one tortilla at a time into the oil. Once the tortilla begins to puff up and rise to the top, gently push the edge of a metal spatula into the center, bending it in half like a taco shape. Hold in place and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and repeat the process.
- To assemble: fill the puffy taco shells with the caramelized pork, and top with the pickled vegetables, jalapeño, cilantro, and a drizzle of spicy mayo.