Beer And Bacon Risotto
This risotto is a delicious twist on the expected - it uses beer!
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 5 slices bacon, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 bottle of beer
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced chives for garnish
- Pour chicken broth in a small pot, and let it sit on a gentle heat.
- In a large sauté pan, cook bacon to render the fat. Once crispy, remove from pan and set aside. In the bacon fat, add the shallot and garlic. Cook until translucent and fragrant. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains in the fat. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Once the grains begin to turn slightly tan, pour in the beer. Stir and let simmer. Once the liquid is mostly absorbed, add a large ladle of the hot chicken broth. Continue to stir until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Repeat the process until the grains are creamy and cooked through.
- Lower the heat and stir in the cheeses and cooked bacon. Remove from heat, serve, and garnish with chives.