Fried Steak And Potato Waffles
A meat and potato lover’s breakfast dream come true.
- For the meat & gravy: 1 pound tenderized round steak, cut into 2-inch pieces. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 large egg, 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, oil for frying
- For the potato waffles: 2 cups mashed potatoes, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded, 2 tablespoons chives chopped, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda salt and pepper, to taste
- Make the fried steak nuggets: Combine flour, cayenne, salt, and pepper. In another dish, mix eggs and 1/2 cup of milk together. Pat dry meat, dredge in flour, then egg mixture, and back into the flour. Repeat process until all the meat is breaded. In a skillet, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Fry the steak pieces in small batches, until golden brown. Remove and drain on a plate with paper towel.
- Make the gravy: drain most of the oil from the skillet, and reserve 3-4 tablespoons in the skillet. Sprinkle in about 3-4 tablespoons of the seasoned flour, and whisk into a paste. Cook for few minutes until lightly browned. Slowly pour the rest of the milk while whisking constantly. Allow to thicken, and season with salt and pepper. Add more milk is the gravy is too thick.
- Make the waffles: In a larger bowl combine all the wet ingredients, including the chives and cheese. In a small bowl combine all the dry ingredients, and then fold them into the wet ingredients until fully mixed. Heat a waffle iron, spray with nonstick cooking spray, and place about 2 tablespoons of batter at a time to create small waffles.
- To serve, place 1-2 steak pieces on top of each waffle and drizzle some gravy over the top.