- 6 small sweet or yellow onions
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For dip: 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg and milk. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, pepper and the rest of your dry ingredients.
- Slice off about 1/4 inch from the top of each onion and peel.
- Place the onion cut side down and starting 1/4 inch from the root end, cut all the way to the board. Turn the onion and repeat, making about six to 8 even cuts.
- Turn the onion over and gently separate pieces to form the petals.
- Coat the onions in the flour mixture, shake off any excess flour.
- Dip the onions in the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off. Coat in flour one more time, and allow to set in the refrigerator, while the oil heats in a large pot.
- Pat any extra flour off onions and carefully fry each onion for about 3 minutes, turn and fry another 3 minutes, or until golden. Let drain on paper towel, sprinkle with salt.
- For the dip: In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, smoked paprika and lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste.