Rum Caramel Croissant Bread Pudding
Croissants in caramel make for one decadent bread pudding.
- 6 small stale croissants (or 3 regular-sized)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter to grease baking dish
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Tear the croissants into smaller pieces and place in a small buttered baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and water by swirling to dissolve. On medium-high heat, allow the mixture to bubble and caramelize to an amber color. Be sure to watch carefully, so the mixture doesn't burn quickly. Turn the heat down low and slowly add the heavy cream. Whisk once the bubbling subsides, while adding the milk and rum. Remove pan from the heat, and add the eggs while whisking.
- Pour the mixture all over the croissant pieces. Allow the croissants to soak the mixture for about 5 minutes. Bake for 15-20 minutes.