Shrimp Avocado Plantain Cups
Shrimp and avocado stuffed plantain cups are hand-held bites of zesty heaven.
- 2-3 green plantains
- 1 dozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeño, small dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper and cumin powder. Cook in a lightly oiled skillet. Then place in a bowl, along with avocado, tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, red onion, cilantro and lime juice. Mix well and chill in the fridge.
- Peel and slice plantains into 3-inch chunks. Fry in 350F oil until slightly golden, but not browned, for about 4-5 minutes.
- Immediately place one fried plantain chunk each in a greased muffin pan well. Using a pestle or shot glass, gently press to form a cup.
- Fry again until golden brown. Drain on paper towel, and lightly season with salt.
- Immediately fill the cups with the shrimp mixture and serve.