Thai Chicken Pot Pie
Put an exotic twist on a dinnertime classic with these Thai-style chicken pot pies.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 8 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handful of frozen green peas
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 2 Thai chilis, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 pie crust or puff pastry
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté garlic, ginger, and lemongrass for about 5 minutes. Add chicken and mushrooms. Stir and cook for another few minutes. Pour coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, sugar, and chili peppers. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes. At the last few minutes, add in the frozen peas and lime juice. Then make a slurry by mixing corn starch with 1 tablespoon cold water. Taste for salt and pepper. Slowly pour into the pot while stirring, until the contents thicken. Turn off the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Fill individual ramekins with the filling. Roll out pie dough on a floured surface, and cut out rounds that are 1/2 larger than the diameter of your ramekins. Brush some egg wash around the edges of the ramekins. Place the rounds on the top, and brush the surfaces with some egg wash.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.