- 1 green plantain, peeled and sliced into six 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 slices pepper jack cheese
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the sauce: 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped 1 garlic clove, minced 1 teaspoon red jalapeño, minced 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet or deep fryer. Fry plantain pieces for about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- While the slices are still warm working with one at a time, flatten using the bottom of a greased heavy glass bowl.
- Return the flattened slices to the skillet and fry until golden.
- In a clean pan, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, place 3 tostones with a slice of cheese and use the remaining tostones to top. Fry on both sides until cheese begins to melt. Plate and sprinkle with salt.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and serve.