Vanilla Chai Creme Brulee
Let’s brûlée and chill with vanilla chai crème brûlée
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 chai tea bags
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a saucepan on medium-low heat, combine cream, vanilla extract, and the tea bags. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, whisk sugar and egg yolks together, until the mixture becomes pale in color.
- Remove the tea bags from the cream. While whisking, slowly drizzle the warmed cream, a few tablespoons at a time, into the yolks.
- Divide the mixture evenly in 3-4 ramekins and place on a shallow baking tray.
- Pour hot water in baking tray, until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the center is no longer liquidity and the custard is jiggles.
- Carefully remove ramekins, one-by-one to avoid splashing hot water in the tray, and cool on a rack.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
- Before serving, remove plastic wrap, top with some sugar (move the ramekin around to create an even layer), and use a torch or broiler to caramelize the surface. Be sure not watch this process carefully to avoid burning. Serve immediately.