Matcha In Japan
In this episode of SOURCED Guy explores the varied landscape of Japan in search of Matcha green tea. From the streets of Tokyo to the fields of Fuji, Guy eats, drinks and steeps himself in the tradition of this storied beverage.
- 4 corn cobs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoons mirin
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 shallots, sliced
- In a pot on medium head add all ingredients, cook till sugar dissolves and reduce by 1/3.
- Soak corn and skewers in water for about 30 minutes.
- Brush corn with oil then place skewered corn onto yakitori grill.
- Grill until tender and light in color, brush graze over it every 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, take off the grill, glaze one more time then sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced shallot.
- 14 ounces grade 6 Wagyu or higher
- 1/2 cup low salt soy sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, rind
- 1 orange rind
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Mirin (rice wine)
- 1/2 black peppers
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Make simple ponzu by mixing soy, orange, lemon, water, rind, black pepper, sesame seeds and mirin together.
- Slice wagyu about 1/2 centimeters thick and skewer, place onto grill and cook on one side only till the other side begins to blush. Turn and cook for 10 seconds then serve
- 3.5 ounces chicken thigh
- 3.5 ounces chicken tenders
- 3.5 ounces chicken wings
- 3 spring onions
- 1/2 cup soy
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Mix soy, ginger, garlic, sake, mirin and sugar together then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Skewer meat then slice shallots.
- Grill chicken and brush with glaze every 3 minutes till cooked.
- Once cooked remove and sprinkle with sesame seeds.