Agua de Avena
If you like Horchata but are looking for something a bit heartier (thanks to the rolled oats), then this is the drink for you.
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups water, divided
- Add 2 cups of water, 2 sticks of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt to a sauce pan over medium low heat in pot
- Cover, and allow to simmer while you prep the oats (This gets the water going, and infuses it with a cinnamon flavor.)
- In a separate kettle, boil 4 cups of water, and pour over 1 cup of oats and allow to sit for 10 minutes
- After steeping for 10 minutes, add oats and water mixture to blender.
- Blend for ~ 20 seconds, covering with a towel instead of the lid because the oats will still be warm, and the lid will pop off.
- Add blended oats to saucepan, along with 1 cup of milk and 4 tablespoons brown sugar.
- Cook on med-low heat (not boiling) for 20 min, partially covered and stirring frequently, until the mixture gets creamy and thickens a bit.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract, taste for sweetness, adding another tablespoon of brown sugar if you like.
- Ladle into a large mug and serve warm (can also be served cold).