Chinese Almond Tea
Celebrate Chinese New Year in style, with this traditional Beijing sweet drink.
- 1 1/3 cups Chinese sweet almonds (Southern almonds)
- 1/3 cup washed glutinous (sticky) rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup sugar rock sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Soak Almonds and washed sticky rice overnight in the fridge - the longer it soaks, the richer the milk will be.
- The next day, take it out of the fridge and discard the water.
- If using skinned almonds proceed to step 4. Otherwise, skin the almonds by placing them in boiling water for a minute. Then drain, rinse with cold water, and use your fingers to squeeze off the skins.
- In a blender, add drained rice, almonds, sesame seeds, 3 Cups of water and blend until finely ground.
- Line a colander in a pot with cheesecloth and pour mixture through. Lift up cheesecloth and squeeze remaining liquid out into pot.
- Add pot to stove on low/medium heat
- Add sugar, and vanilla extract mix, and a pinch of salt - mix everything together until sugar is dissolved
- Cook until simmering, around 8-10 minutes - Serve immediately.