- 1 1/2 cups pearled barley
- 6 cups water
- 1 large lemon -- peel & juice
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 sprig mint (optional)
- Garnish w/additional lemon slices
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Rinse the barley under cold water, until water runs clear.
- Once water is boiling, add the rinsed barley & lemon peels, cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Reduce heat to gentle simmer & cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add sugar and lemon juice, steep & allow to cool for approx. 30 minutes.
- Strain, discarding the barley and lemon peels into big bowl
- Reserve the water, adjust lemon & sugar to taste, & refrigerate.
- Garnish with mint
- Serve & Enjoy on ice.