- 6 dried peaches (halved)
- Zest of 1 orange (either large strips or full orange)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of husked or pearled wheat
- 4 cups + 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Soak dried peaches, Orange zest, and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon in a bowl overnight in 2 1/2 cups of water. This reconstitutes the peaches and infuses the cinnamon and orange flavor.
- Cook the husked wheat in 1.5 Cups of water, covered on low heat for about 25-30 min. Cool completely before using.
- In another saucepan add sugar and 2 tablespoons of water, you're really just wetting the sugar (like wet sand). This is going to make a caramel that will add color, a nutty flavor, and will thicken the drink.
- Cook the sugar and water for about 15 min on medium heat until a light brown color starts to appear (don't stir at all, and make sure your pot is super clean). Once an even brown color appears, remove from heat.
- Remove peaches from liquid with tongs.
- SLOWLY add the dried peach liquid (includes orange zest) to the caramel.
- The sugar will immediately harden. Return to medium heat and stir to dissolve the caramel; it will taken on a syrup consistency.
- Add the soaked peaches and cook for about 15 min.
- Remove from heat and let the peaches and liquid cool completely before serving.
- In a glass add 4 tablespoons of cooked wheat, pour cooled peachy liquid over and add three peaches.
- Enjoy in a plastic cup with a spoon.