In the long line Chai varietals, this one is robust, flavorful, and it just might be the prettiest.
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon wuyi oolong tea leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cardamom pods, crushed to expose the seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Garnish: finely chopped, raw sliced almonds and pistachios
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil then bring down to a simmer.
- Add tea, baking soda, salt, and spices, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of light simmering, add 2 cups of cold milk + sugar and turn up heat to high.
- Continue to cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Strain and serve with finely chopped almonds and pistachios on top.