Though this drink was originally created for Pehlwani wrestlers to get refreshed and energized before a fight - you don't have to get in to a ring to enjoy the intriguing taste of this drink.
- 1 cup of whole almonds with skin on
- 1 tablespoon Cantaloupe seed ( from 1/2 cantaloupe)
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 1/4 teaspoon or 8 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried roses
- Pinch of fennel seeds
- 3 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1 cup cold water + plus water for soaking
- Saffron and dried roses for garnish
- Tools: Blender, glass kitchen aid, chinois or cheesecloth, measuring spoons and cups, glassware, spatula, glass bowls
- Soak whole almonds in water for about 4 hours to loosen skin. Remove and discard skin
- Soak cantaloupe seeds, cardamon, peppercorn, poppy seeds, dried roses, fennel in about 1/2 cup of milk. place in refrigerator for about 4 hours as well.
- Remove and discard skin from almonds. Its easy just pinch them between your thumb and finger and they'll pop out.
- In a blender add the skinned almonds, soaked milk and spices, and the remaining 3 cups of cold milk and 1 cup of cold water.
- Liquify on high speed.
- Pour Thadal mixture over a strainer lined with a cheesecloth, chinois, or a nut bag.
- Press or squeeze out all the liquid.
- Serve cold and garnish with a couple strands of saffron and a pinch of dried roses.