Ever wish you could wear your favorite foods? In this episode Laura learns which veggies and spices make the best dyes and then the sky's the limit.
- Red cabbage
- Red onion
- White vinegar
- Large stockpot
- Rubber bands
- White t-shirts, bandanas or other fabric you want to make more fun
- Large containers for dyes
- Fold clothing and place rubber bands around cloth to create fun designs (you really can't go wrong here)
- In a large stock pot, fill at least halfway with water, add 2 tablespoons of salt and 1/2 cup of vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and immerse all of the clothing you wish to dye. Simmer for 1 hour.
- In another stockpot bring 10-12 cups of water to a boil and add 6-8 tablespoons of turmeric. Stir and set aside.
- Chop cabbage and boil in 10-12 cups of water for 30 minutes
- Peel onions and add the dry skin only to 10-12 cups of water, boil for 30 minutes.
- Strain each dye into a separate container. Discard vegetables.
- Immerse clothing completely into the containers and leave for at least 1 hour.
- Remove clothing from containers after you're satisfied with the colors. Rinse in cold water. Cut off rubber bands with scissors and hang to dry on clothesline.