Cardamom Pancakes with Orange Blossom Syrup & Pistachios
They say variety is the spice of life, but they're wrong. It's cardamom.
- For the batter:
- 250 milliliters or about 1 cup milk
- 227 grams or 1.5 cups of flour
- 2 large eggs
- 60 grams or 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cardamom pod, pounded should yield a generous pinch
- For the syrup:
- 100 milliliters or about 1/2 cup of water
- 200 grams or about 1 cup sugar
- 15 milliliters or 1 tablespoon juice of lemon
- 15 milliliters or 1 tablespoon orange blossom water (found in any Middle Eastern specialty store)
- About 20 grams (a good handful) of pistachios
- In a bowl sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt & cardamom powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients; butter, milk and eggs. Now combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk them until smooth. Set aside the mixture for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime place a heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium flame and add all the ingredients listed for the syrup: sugar, water, orange blossom water and lemon juice and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling reduce heat and let it simmer (stirring often) for about 20 minutes or till thick. Remove off flame and set aside.
- Now place a heavy-bottomed chef pan on medium flame and lightly wipe with some butter. Once the pan is hot about 1 minute drizzle in about 100 milliliters or 1/2 cup of the batter at a time. This recipe yields cakey pancakes. If you desire thinner varieties then add a little more milk to the batter accordingly.
- Pile 'em up high lathered sandwiched with slivers of butter, drizzle with the orange blossom syrup, sprinkle with the pistachios and dig in!