Cat In The Hat Cupcakes
A cat wearing a hat?! Whoever thought of that!
- 200 grams Plain flour
- 45 grams Cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 100 grams Soft light brown sugar
- 180 grams Caster sugar
- 80 grams Unsalted butter
- 240 milliliters Whole milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 450 grams Icing sugar
- 150 grams Unsalted butter
- 35-40 milliliters Whole milk
- To decorate:
- Blue gel food colour
- Red & white Ready to roll icing
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Sift the dry ingredients together into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter and two sugars until creamy.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl/jug whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on a slow/medium speed followed by 1/2 of the dry ingredients.
- Scrape down your bowl and beat in 1/2 the remaining wet ingredients followed by the rest of the dry ingredients. Once combined pour in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Once the mixture is smooth, evenly divide it into the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- For the buttercream sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat it into the butter. Once sandy pour in the milk to combine.
- Beat for a good 5 minutes until the icing is paler in colour and is light and fluffy. Add in blue colouring and beat until well combined.
- Place the icing into a piping bag with a star tip and pipe swirls onto each cupcake.
- To decorate, roll the white icing out to 3 mm thick and cut round circles out using a cookie cutter smaller than the cupcake. Leave to set.
- For the hat. Roll out red & white icing to roughly 1 centimeter thick and cut out circles using the wide end of a piping nozzle 2 centimeters wide. 3 red circles and 2 white circles per hat.
- Starting with the red icing, stack the circles on top of each other using water as glue in between the layers. Roll in your hands to secure the layers together.
- Tilt the top of the hat to the side and leave to set.
- Once set glue the hats on top of the larger white circles and place on top of the cupcakes.
- Enjoy! :D