Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
Say pasta la vista to all your boring old recipes
- Tomato sauce:
- 500 grams Passata
- 1 Small Red onion, peeled, sliced and chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed/chopped finely
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, de seeded and cut into small cubes
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 12 Sage leaves
- 120 grams Ricotta
- 35 grams Parmesan/pecorino/grana padano
- 40 grams Spinach, wilted
- 6 Lasagna sheets, cut in half
- Cream sauce:
- 300 milliliters Creme fraiche
- 30 grams Parmesan, grated
- 30 grams Cheddar cheese, grated
- Toss butternut squash in oil and season with salt & pepper. Spread out onto a baking tray and scatter sage leaves on top and roast in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 25-30 minutes until soft and browned on the edges. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, add garlic and onions into a saucepan and saute until onions have softened. Pour in passata and continue to cook until mixture thickens slightly. Pour into the bottom of serving dish.
- For the pasta filling, gently mash butternut squash leaving some larger pieces and stir in ricotta and parmesan.
- Place spinach into a frying pan, add water and heat until spinach has softened. Squeeze away excess water.
- Soften lasagna sheets 2 at a time in a pan of simmering water.
- Spoon pasta filling over one end of the pasta sheets and top with wilted spinach. Roll up and place over passata in the serving dish. Repeat until dish is full.
- For the cheese sauce, add creme fraiche, parmesan and cheddar into a small saucepan and heat until well combined and the cheese has melted and no lumps remain.
- Pour over pasta and top with extra grated cheese. Place in a pre-heated oven at 180°C and bake for 15 minutes.