Chipotle Roast Chicken
Add some smoke and spice to your roast chicken with this simple tip
- 1 medium, free-range corn-fed chicken
- 2 chipotle chillies or 2 tablespoons chipotle paste or salsa
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small iceberg lettuce, washed and shredded
- 1 red onion, very finely sliced
- Small bunch fresh coriander leaves
- Pinch caster sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Corn or wheat tortillas
- 1 portion cumin + garlic black beans
- If using chipotle chillies, rehydrate them in a bowl of boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until soft. Blitz all the marinade ingredients together in a food processor and smother the marinade all over the chicken, rubbing it into the skin. Marinate the chicken for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge then bring it up to room temperature by taking it out of the fridge 30 minutes before you cook it. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the chicken in a roasting tray and transfer to the oven for 1 hour, removing it to baste it in the juices a couple of times. Remove it from the oven and leave it to rest under some foil. Drain off the juices from the roasting pan, skim off and discard any excess fat and transfer the juices to a bowl or jug, to serve with the chicken.
- For the salad, combine shredded iceberg, red onion and coriander in a large bowl. To make the dressing, in a bowl, dissolve the salt and sugar in the lime juice and whisk in the olive oil. Dress the salad.
- For the tortillas, brush a frying pan with the oil and heat until stinking hot. One at a time, toast each tortilla for about 15 seconds (flipping them over to toast both sides), until warm and soft. Serve in a pile.