Deep Fried Sweet Chinese Buns
Super sweet fried buns of nom. You NEED to give these Chinese buns a try!
- 250ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 7g active dry yeast
- 240g plain flour
- 120g sponge flour
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- Oil, for deep frying
- Ice cream
- Caramel sauce
- Sea salt flakes
- Warm the milk and oil in a saucepan over a low heat until lukewarm, then pour into a jug and sprinkle over the yeast. Allow to sit for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift together the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Make a well in the centre and pour the yeast mixture into the well, stirring all the time, until everything is incorporated. You are aiming for a slightly sticky dough.
- Flour a work surface lightly and turn the dough out on to it. Knead for 4 - 5 minutes until you have a smooth dough. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm, then set aside for 1 - 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- When doubled in size, turn the dough out and knead for 30 seconds to knock out the air, then cut into 8 equal pieces. Roll the pieces of dough into balls and place on a lined baking sheet, covering with lightly oiled clingfilm and set aside for 30 minutes until the balls of dough have doubled in size.
- When ready to fry, heat the oil to 180C and fry the buns in batches for about 6 minutes or until a deep golden colour. Take out and drain on kitchen paper.
- When ready to serve, split the buns with a bread knife and fill with a ball of ice cream. Pour over some caramel sauce and finish with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes.