Creamy Fish Pie
Pretend you're right by the seaside with this epic fish pie!
- Potato Mash:
- 800 grams Maris Piper potatoes
- Milk, to taste
- Butter, to taste
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 Spring onions, finely chopped
- 35 grams Grated Cheddar cheese, to top
- 500 grams Fish: Prawns, cod, salmon
- 500 milliliters Whole milk
- 1 Small onion
- Cheese sauce:
- 45 grams Butter
- 45 grams Plain flour
- 30 grams cheddar, grated
- Peel and chop potatoes into small chunks. Place into a large pan of water with salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, slice fish into medium chunks and place into a pan. Pour over milk.
- Cut both ends off the onion, chop the onion in half and then into quarters. Place into the pan. Bring the milk just to a boil and then lower the heat and let simmer for approx 8 minutes.
- Strain fish from the milk and evenly divide into serving dishes. Strain the rest of the milk into a jug and leave to cool slightly.
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisking continually.
- Gradually pour over the slightly cooled milk and whisk until smooth and the mixture starts to thicken. You might not need to add all the milk.
- Stir in grated cheese until melted and smooth. Pour over cooked fish.
- For the mash add a splash of milk and butter to strained potatoes and beat until desired consistency. Stir in spring onions and season with salt & pepper.
- Spoon on top of fish and sauce, top with grated cheese and cook in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 15-20 min.
- Enjoy! :D