Hungry Histories Bakewell Pudding
This might be the true story of the Bakewell Tart!
- Flour, for dusting
- 500g/1lb 2oz packet read-made puff pastry
- 4-5 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 150g/5oz fresh raspberries
- 100g/3 1/2oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100g/3 1/2oz caster sugar
- 5 free-range eggs
- 150g/5oz ground pistachios
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 190C. Get yourself a 23cm round tart tin or saucepan with a metal handle.
- Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured work surface to form a circle a few inches larger than your tin. Line the tin with the pastry, gently pressing into the edges.
- Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the pastry base. Add a handful of the raspberries and lightly crush on top of the jam.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, beating each well to incorporate. Stir in equal amounts of the ground pistachios after you add each egg, stirring well until combined. Continue until all the eggs and all the ground pistachios are used up.
- Pour the filling mixture into the pastry case and gently spread it evenly over the raspberry layer. Trim the excess pastry from the edge of the tart tin.
- Bake the tart on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes, or until the surface is golden-brown.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with the remaining raspberries on top.