Sourdough Crumpets with Honeycomb Butter
Is there anything more comforting than buttery crumpets?
- 1/2 tsp bicarb
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 300g starter
- Bacon butter:
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 250g softened butter
- Bacon rashers
- Butter: Fry off rashers of bacon, until fat is rendered. Reserve some of the drippings. Place all the bacon butter ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth. Use baking paper to shape the butter mix into a log, seal the edges and refrigerate until set. Mix the salt, sugar and starter, allow it to bubble away before adding the bicarb.
- Rub butter over a griddle pan and heat. Butter crumpet rings generously and place them in the pan.
- Spoon batter into each ring, leave a small gap at the top for rising.
- Cook over low heat for about 12-15 minutes until the edges look cooked.
- Remove the crumpets from the rings and flip them over
- to cook for another 3 minutes. Then serve with slices of the set bacon butter.