Sticky Toffee Pudding
A classic sticky toffee pudding, the ultimate comfort food
- For the sponge:
- 75g soft butter
- 175g dark brown demerara sugar
- 200g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting the tin
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g pitted dried dates
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- For the toffee sauce:
- 100g dark soft sugar
- 100g butter
- 200g double cream
- Grease the cake tin with 25g butter and flour liberally.
- Beat together the sugar and the rest of the butter in a freestanding mixer or with a hand whisk, before slowly adding the treacle, golden syrup, eggs and vanilla extract. Finally add in the flour to combine.
- In a separate pan place the dates, bicarb of soda and 300ml cold water. Bring to the boil and puree whilst hot. Add this to the flour mixture and beat together once more.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake at 180ºC (fan) for about 40 minutes until springy to touch.
- For the sauce, add the sugar, butter and cream to a pan and bring to the boil. Serve alongside the pudding with a dollop of ice cream.