How to make Summer Squash with pickled carrot, tarragon & tahini.
- 60 milliliters apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 fat carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 summer squash (e.g. courgettes, pattypan)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Small handful of tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons light tahini
- Handful of pea shoots
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the carrots into ribbons. Stack the ribbons up and cut the carrots into squares. Place into a bowl or jar.
- Heat the apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan - stir until the sugar and salt dissolve and bring the liquid to a boil. Pour the hot liquid over the carrots, pressing them down to submerge them in the liquid if needed. Set aside.
- Cook the squash:
- Top and tail the squash and cut into ~2 centimeters chunks. Heat a frying pan with the olive oil over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the squash to the pan and sauté until the squash is starting to bowl. Add the garlic to the frying pan and sauté for a minute more. Season with salt and allow to cool.
- Remove the pickled carrots from the brine and toss with cooled squash and tarragon. Arrange on a plate then top with a drizzle of tahini and the pea shoots.