- 2 Cups basmati rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable, chicken stock or water
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, plus a little more for garnishing
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Chopped Parsley
- Pomegranate seeds
- Olive oil or butter
- Saute the chopped onion in a medium frying pan in a tablespoon of olive oil or butter. Once they've softened and are slightly transparent, mix in with the spices. Add the rice and thoroughly combine with the spiced onion mixture. Add the slivered almonds and the cranberries and mix again. Add another tablespoon of oil to the rice.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling bring down the heat to very low. Cover the pan with tin foil and then with a tight lid.
- Leave for 30 minutes on low heat. Remove the lid and foil and turn up the heat for 3 minutes or so. Remove from heat and cover again to keep it warm. Leave to set for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn the pan over onto a plate. Serve with more slivered almonds, pomegranate seeds and chopped parsley.