Acorn Squash Bowls
Acorn squash is your new favourite veg and you can't go wrong with this super simple recipe!
- 2 squash - such as onion or acorn - bear in mind you
- will use the squash as the ‘bowl’
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 410g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Chop the top of the squashes off, spoon out the flesh and chop it roughly - you are aiming to get a bowl out of the squash .
- Bake the squash bowl and it’s lid at 180 C for 30 - 40 minutes until soft but still holding it’s shape.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and pepper for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and red chilli, and cook for a further minute. Add the squash, tomatoes, sugar, chipotle paste and 150ml cold water. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the squash, cover and simmer for a further 30 - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender and the sauce has thickened. Finally, add the beans and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately inside the squash bowls with coriander, avocado and pickled pink onions to garnish.