- 30g dried mushrooms
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g mixed mushrooms, sliced and cut into uniform sizes
- A few thyme sprigs
- 400g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- Splash cream
- 50g parmesan cheese
- Put the dried mushrooms into a large bowl and pour over the hot stock. Soak for 15 minutes, then strain the liquid into a large jug. Finely chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and gently fry for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the fresh mushrooms, the chopped dried mushrooms and a few thyme sprigs and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the fresh mushrooms are all soft and cooked through. Tip in the risotto rice and cook whilst stirring continuously for a couple of minutes. Pour in the wine and allow to bubble away and cook until it’s completely evaporated. Add the stock a ladle full at a time until it’s all been incorporated, only adding the next ladle full once the previous has been absorbed, stirring continuously. Once the rice is cooked remove the pan from the heat, cover and leave for a few minutes so that the rice can take up any excess liquid as it cools a bit.
- Give the risotto a final stir and remove the thyme stalks. Spoon into bowls and serve with plenty of grated parmesan and a drizzle of oil or truffle oil.