- 2 sheets all-butter puff pastry
- 100g of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g of ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 50ml double cream
- For the glaze:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C fan. Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl then add in the eggs, ground almonds and vanilla bean paste. Mix well then add the double cream and fold in until just mixed.
- Line a baking sheet with paper and lay out one sheet of all-butter puff pastry on top. Use a plate to mark out a circle about 24 centimetres across and cut the pastry into this shape. Top with the frangipane filling and spread it out to a flat circle that leaves 1 centimetre of empty pastry around the edge.
- Beat the egg and milk together and use a pastry brush to paint it around the pastry rim. Cut out the second pastry sheet slightly bigger than the first and lay it on top, pressing down with a fork to seal the two sheets together. Use a pastry wheel if you have one, or a sharp knife, to trim the edges.
- Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash and leave it to chill and dry out in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once the glaze has dried slightly, use a sharp knife to score the top in curved lines from the middle to the edge of the pastry. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the pastry is a deep golden brown. Leave to cool for 1 hour before serving.