Baked Bean Pizza
You didn't ask, but we delivered: Behold, the baked bean pizza.
- 200ml milk
- 300g strong white bread flour
- 1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar, plus a pinch
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g mozzarella, from a block, cut into long strips
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp english mustard powder
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- 2 x 200g tins baked beans
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tabasco
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
- Warm the milk in a saucepan until steaming but not boiling. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt and stir to combine. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the milk and leave to cool until just warm. With the motor running, pour the liquid into the bowl and continue mixing in for 5-7 mins, until you have a smooth and elastic dough. Transfer the dough to a clean, oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave somewhere warm to rise for 1 hr or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down to knock out the air then shape into a disc - you can do this with a rolling pin or with your hands. Roll out the dough to a circle, about 35cm wide then transfer to a circular baking tray. Use the mozzarella to create a ring around the outside edge of the pizza base, leaving 1/2cm gap between the edge, then fold over the outside edge to enclose the mozzarella and create a stuffed crust. Press firmly to stick the dough in place.
- Lightly cover with oiled cling film and set aside for 20-30 mins, until the dough has puffed up a little. Meanwhile heat oven to 240 C / 220 C fan.
- To make the spiced beans, add all the dry spices to a saucepan set over a medium heat and heat until they start to smell fragrant. Add 1 tsp olive oil, the sugar, the beans, worcestershire sauce and tabasco and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- When cool spread the spiced beans over the pizza base then sprinkle over the cheese and finally top with the sliced red chilli.
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 mins or until golden and risen.