- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 banana peels, underripe or green, fibres scraped off, finely diced, ends discarded
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp salt
- Fry the onion in the oil in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat until golden and caramelized, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the diced banana peels and spices, with a splash more oil if the mixture looks too dry. Fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add 150 millilitres water, and cover, cooking on a low heat for 20-25 minutes until the banana peel has softened and the flavours have developed.
- Add the sugar, white wine vinegar and tamarind paste and cook for 5 minutes on a medium high heat until the mixture is sticky and glossy. Season with salt and remove from the heat.
- You can either serve the chutney like this, or roughly pulse it in a food processor to make a more homogenous sauce.