Banana Bread with Salted Caramel Centre
Up your banana bread game with an oozing salted caramel centre
- 285 grams self raising flour
- 100 milliliters veg oil
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 really ripe bananas
- 85 milliliters buttermilk
- Vanilla paste
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 60 milliliters double cream
- 45 grams butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a bowl mash the ripe bananas with a fork until it is all
- squished. Then add in the vegetable oil and stir.
- Crack your eggs in to the banana mixture and mix until
- the eggs have been incorporated.
- Pour in the butter milk and continue to mix with the fork.
- Now for the dry ingredients- add in the flour, allspice
- brown sugar and the vanilla paste. Fold it all in with a
- spatular until it is all incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin and place in the
- preheated oven for 45 mins.
- Salted caramel sauce: Pour the caster sugar into a pan
- and place on a medium heat. Sprinkle over a good pinch
- of sea salt.
- Slowly and very occasionally move the sugar around
- until it has all caramelized. This should take approx
- 8 mins.
- Once caramelized add in the unsalted butter. As soon
- as it has melted add in the cream and stir.
- Once it has all melted and turned a nice light brown
- colour, take it off the heat and transfer to a heatproof
- dish to cool.
- With your cooked and cooled banana bread, using a
- bread knife, cut a centre in the cake. Make sure to only
- cut in half way down and a good inch away from the
- outside of the cake, You should be left with a nice
- square well/ bath for the sauce to go in to.
- Pour in your cooled caramel sauce and place the banana
- bread ‘lid’ that you cut out back on top of the bread.