Beer Braised Saffron Carrots
These multi-color carrots sprinkled with exotic saffron couldn't be easier and are a delicious compliment to any holiday meal.
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 cup beer (Stella Artois)
- 3 cups water
- 4 bunches heirloom carrots, with tops (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Finishing salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Carrot tops for plating
- In a small bowl combine sherry vinegar and saffron. Set aside.
- Bring Stella Artois and 3 cups water to a boil in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Cut off the carrot tops (reserving a few for plating) leaving 1/2-inch green stem.
- Slice carrots into 1-inch pieces.
- Add carrots and a pinch of salt to pot, cover and boil carrots until just al dente.
- Drain into a colander
- Return carrots to pot.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Immediately add butter, saffron, and sherry vinegar to carrots
- Stir until carrots are coated in the sauce (about 1 minute)
- Season with a sprinkle of finishing salt, and a few grinds of white pepper
- Transfer to a platter.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped carrot tops and stir to combine
- Garnish with lemon zest