- 50g breadcrumbs
- 500g macaroni
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 200ml pale ale
- 250g cheddar cheese
- 200g tallegio
- 2 whole eggs
- 250g cooking mozzarella, sliced
- 250g grated mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Grease a cake tin with a generous amount of butter then coat in the breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8–10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time, and then the beer. Cook for 10 minutes until you have a thick and smooth sauce. Add the cheddar and the tallegio and stir until it is well combined and melted. Take off the heat and then add the eggs and stir to combine. Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer 1/3 to the to the tin and press down well. Add ½ of the cooking mozzarella slices in one layer, 1/3 of the grated mozzarella then another 1/3 of macaroni, the rest of the mozzarella slices, another 1/3 of the grated mozzarella then the final 1/3 of pasta. Top with the remaining grated mozzarella.
- Cook for 20 minutes and until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes then remove from the tin and serve in slices.