Food is just more fun when it's pink, and the beetroot in this flatbread makes it just that... And more. In partnership with Alpro.
- 230 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3 cooked red baby beetroot, grated, plus 90 g beetroot juice
- 90 g Alpro Plain Plant Based Alternative Yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil for pan-frying
- 300 g oyster mushrooms
- 2 tbsp tinga seasoning (or any other Mexican style seasoning)
- 100 g cherry vine tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 15 g coriander including stalks, roughly chopped
- 15 g parsley including stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 red birds eye chillies, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 lime juice
- 30 ml olive oil
- To make the topping, in a large frying pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and mushrooms. Cook for about 10 minutes, flipping the mushrooms occasionally. When the mushrooms have crisped up, add the Mexican seasoning and toss to coat well. Reduce the heat to low and cook 5 more minutes. Set aside.
- To prep your flatbread dough, sieve the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Set a fine-mesh sieve over a separate clean bowl and grate the beetroot over it - you’ll get a little bit of beetroot juice in the bowl. Reserve the juice and add the grated beetroot to the flour mixture.
- Combine 90 g beetroot juice with the Alpro and then add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Mix and knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s even in colour and texture.
- Place another frying pan on the hob on a low heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. While the oil is heating up, divide the dough into 6 even pieces. On a generously floured surface roll the first piece into an oval shape with a floured rolling pin around 10 x 15 cm each, and add it to the hot pan, cook on each side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough, wiping the pan between each flatbread and adding more olive oil as needed.
- To make the salsa verde, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Assemble the flatbreads by topping them with mushrooms, tomatoes and onion, and drizzling with the salsa verde.