- 200g ginger biscuits
- 100g butter
- 125g light brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 can condensed milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 bananas
- 150ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 50g dark chocolate, to decorate
- Lightly grease a 23cm loose bottom tart tin, and line the base with a circle of baking paper.
- In a food processor blitz the ginger biscuits to a fine crumb. In a small saucepan gently melt the butter. (TIP: gently melt the butter, being careful not to brown it)
- Pour the melted butter into the processor and blitz again until well mixed. Tip the biscuit mix into the tart tin and press it down into the base and sides. Using the base of a glass or mug is a good way of ensuring the biscuits are well compacted. Place it in the fridge to set.
- Next make the caramel: Place the butter and sugar into a pan and gently melt together, keep mixing until the sugar has melted and they are combined. Then add the condensed milk and bring up to the boil allowing it to bubble and thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sea salt.
- Take the set biscuit base from the fridge and pour over the caramel, transfer this back into the fridge and allow it again to set and cool completely.
- Once cool, remove from the fridge and slice the bananas at an angle. Arrange the slices on top of the caramel.
- In a bowl whisk together the double cream and icing sugar until it reaches medium peaks. Spoon this on top of the bananas and create peaks using the back of the spoon. Grate over the dark chocolate and the banoffee pie is ready to serve.