Take your tacos to the next level with this easy, authentic Birria Tacos recipe. Beautiful slow cooked beef is cooked to perfection and then blended to make a stew and served in crispy tacos.
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 dried ancho chillies, seeds and stalks removed
- 2 dried guajillo chillies, seeds and stalks removed
- 3 dried chipotle chillies, seeds and stalks removed
- 1 tbsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 700ml beef stock
- 1 kg bone-in beef short rib
- 250g masa harina
- 350ml hot water
- 300g cheese, shredded into pieces
- Lime wedges (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 140c. In a lidded pan add a splash of oil and add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic, dried chillies, oregano, cumin and bay leaves and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and cook for 35 minutes. Remove the bay leaves then use a stick blender to blitz everything together. Season generously.
- Place another pan on the heat and allow to get very hot then add the beef ribs and sear all over really well so they are nicely coloured. Add the beef back into the pan of blended sauce, top up with some extra beef stock then cover with the lid and place in the oven and cook for a minimum of 4 hours - 5 or 6 is ideal.
- To make the tacos mix the masa harina, salt and hot water in a bowl.
- Bring the dough together with your hands and set aside in a covered bowl to rest for 30 minutes. Divide into 10 equal sized balls.
- Place each ball between two squares of greaseproof paper and one by one press them in a tortilla press so they are all flat. You can cut around the edges to make them really neat, or just leave as they are.
- Heat up a griddle or frying pan to a high heat and cook the tacos one by one by heating for 1-2 minutes per side. Leave covered in a stack until you are ready to fill.
- Remove the beef from the pan and shred the meat, discarding the bones.
- Dip the tacos into the top of the sauce (this is where all the oil will have gathered) then into a hot frying pan. Scatter over some shredded cheese, then some shredded beef. Fold over and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve alongside the remaining hot broth for extra dipping and some lime wedges.