Create your own bonfire without having to go outside in the cold!
- 200 grams Plain flour
- 45 grams Cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 100 grams Soft light brown sugar
- 180 grams Caster sugar
- 80 grams Unsalted butter
- 240 milliliters Whole milk
- 2 Eggs
- Grated zest of 1 Orange
- 450 grams Icing sugar
- 150 grams Unsalted butter
- 35-40 milliliters Whole milk
- To decorate:
- Yellow & Red gel food colour
- Orange flavoured Matchmakers
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Sift the dry ingredients together into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat together the butter and two sugars until creamy.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl/jug whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add 1/3 of the wet ingredients into the butter mixture and mix on a slow/medium speed followed by 1/3 of the dry ingredients.
- Scrape down your bowl and beat in 1/2 the remaining wet ingredients followed by the rest of the dry ingredients. Once combined pour in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Once the mixture is smooth, evenly divide it into the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- For the buttercream sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat it into the butter. Once sandy pour in the milk to combine.
- Beat for a good 5 minutes until the icing is paler in colour and is light and fluffy. Divide buttercream into two bowls.
- Colour one bowl of buttercream yellow and the other orangey red using both the red and yellow gel colour.
- Place the icing into a piping bag with a star tip adding small dollops at a time alternating between the two colours to create a fire effect.
- Pipe swirls onto each cupcake and decorate by breaking up the matchmakers into smaller pieces and leaning them against the buttercream to look like a bonfire.
- Enjoy :D