- 500ml tub ready-made chilled custard – look for one with real vanilla seeds
- 100g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 400g chocolate brownies
- 2 x 390g jars cherries in kirsch or similar
- 100ml cherry brandy
- 300g tub double cream
- 200ml tub crème fraîche
- 25g icing sugar
- Grated chocolate
- Fresh cherries, to decorate
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie over a medium heat. Take off the heat and pour in the custard, mixing to combine. Cover with cling film and cool.
- Arrange the brownies in the base of a trifle bowl. Drain the jars of cherries and scatter over the brownies. Drizzle over 100ml cherry brandy. Lightly whip the cream with the crème fraîche and icing sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon the cooled chocolate custard over the brownies, followed by the cream.
- Decorate with grated chocolate and fresh cherries, if you like.