- For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast (one packet)
- 1 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the filling:
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- In a bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and sugar. Once the mixture becomes foamy, gradually mix in the flour and salt. Knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: combine all ingredients in a bowl, except the mozzarella. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to form a rectangle.
- Spread the filling over the dough and make sure to leave an inch around the edges. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Roll the dough into a log lengthwise. Slice the roll in half lengthwise leaving one end (about 1 inch) intact. Twist the two sides into a braid, while trying to keep the cut sides facing up.
- Grease a loaf pan and place the braided dough inside. Cover and allow to rise again for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Uncover, brush with olive oil, and bake for about 30-35 minutes.