Brussels Sprouts and Farro Salad
Warm farro and roasted Brussels sprouts are not only healthy and delicious they're a terrific accompaniment for your holiday table.
- 1 dried chile d'arbol, crumbled
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons / plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups pearled farro, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Crumble the chile d'arbol with your hands or slice with a knife
- In a large bowl, toss together Brussels sprouts, 2 tablespoons olive oil, chile, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Spread evenly across an ungreased baking sheet.
- Roast for 18 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to flip over the Brussels sprouts after 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add chicken broth to a boil in a large, heavy bottomed pot.
- Add farro
- Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the farro, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until it is just al dente and slightly chewy in the center.
- While farro cooks, make the vinaigrette: Into a bowl, add 2 cloves minced garlic, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- After 20 minutes, all the broth should be absorbed by the farro. (If it isn't, drain.)
- Combine farro and Brussels.
- Dress with vinaigrette.
- Add lemon zest
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.