Finally, the most important Christmas foods in one. World, meet mulled wine bundt cake. In partnership with Tesco.
- For the sugared cranberries:
- 400 grams caster sugar, divided
- 340 grams fresh cranberries
- For the cake:
- 200 grams unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 200 grams dark muscovado sugar
- 100 grams light brown sugar
- 200 grams black treacle
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 200 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 50 ml red wine
- Zest 1 orange, plus longer strips for decorating
- 225 ml natural yoghurt
- For the red wine glaze:
- 225 grams dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 115 grams unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 65 grams icing sugar
- 125 ml red wine (such as Pinot Noir)
- To make the sugared cranberries, combine 100 grams sugar and 100 ml water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in cranberries until well coated.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to wire rack; let dry for at least 1 hour.
- Working in batches, roll cranberries in remaining sugar until well coated; let dry for at least 1 hour.
- For the cake, heat the oven to 180°C / fan160°C. Generously grease a 1.5 litre bundt tin. Heat the butter, sugars and treacle gently in a pan until the butter and sugar have melted. Beat in the eggs then
- sift the flour, bicarb and spices into a large bowl. Pour in the sugar/butter mixture and stir to combine, then stir in the red wine, orange zest and yoghurt until combined. Pour into the greased bundt tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, heat the chocolate and butter in a bain marie until melted. Take off the heat and whisk in the salt and icing sugar. Bring the wine just to a boil in a small saucepan and then whisk into the chocolate mixture; let cool until slightly thickened.
- Glaze the bundt with the icing and top with the sugared cranberries and long strips of orange zest.